Friday, August 03, 2012

Open Your Heart

It's been a couple of years since this happened. My junior high school invited me to visit one of nursing homes in Banjarmasin. It's kind of a charity event. I was so interested and excited to go there. So were my friends. It took at least 1 hour until we arrived. It was very quiet and what really surprised me was they had a pet dog. A really big dog. The dog just barked and barked loudly, breaking the silence. Not only a dog, they also had a monkey, living in an old tree. This place was located so far from the city. That's why it was so peaceful, much different from our neighborhood which is crowded and loud.
First of all, we distributed all the goods for the old people there. They greeted us very well. Then, they showed us around, there was a small park where they could walk in the morning for fresh air. Really refreshing. They also showed us how the keepers take care of the old people, what the old people need, how to calm them down when they get mad and stuffs. That really woke me up, how patient and caring they are. I don't even care that much about my own parents. I mean, look at them, they help somebody's parents to take a bath, to have breakfast, to do what they don't have to do. At the end of the event, we shared and talked about our experiences with the old people. I looked at them in the eye, and it touched me. It really reminded me of my parents. Our parents will get old as them someday. And I don't wanna be out there somewhere when my Mom and Dad need me most. I wanna be around them as what they've done to me when I was a child. I don't want to leave them behind. And it opened my eyes too when I realize I will be as old as them in no time. I don't want to waste my life for something useless. Because the one who takes care of us when we get old is ourselves when we were young.

No comments:

Post a Comment